Twelve field trips are planned during the 12th WEEC, connecting theory with practice. The morning, afternoon, or full day sessions provide participants with the opportunity to explore many of the landscapes and environmental education landmarks in and around Abu Dhabi. Transport is included.
Tag Archive for: 12WEEC
The 12WEEC 2024 wants to set an example of sustainable congress and of how sustainable practices can be employed in big and important events.
The WEEC Permanent Secretariat and the Local Organizing Committee welcome the submission of original contributions to be presented at the 12th World Environmental Education Congress (WEEC).
The call for abstract submission is open to present works, researches and activities in the field of environmental education.
Abstracts may only be submitted via the online system here
You can submit Abstracts in four languages: English, Arab, French and Spanish. Participation in the congress can be declined in various formats: oral presentation, e-poster, round table, etc. In this way we want to give everyone the opportunity to express themselves in the way they deem most appropriate to present their initiatives.
The WEEC congress is attended by teachers, researchers, associations, students, activists and all kinds of scholars and experts in the field of environmental education.
Submit your proposal today and don’t miss the chance to meet other experts from all over the world.
12WEEC awaits you in Abu Dhabi!
Dear friends and colleagues,
We are nearly at the end of this eleventh congress. A new stage of the path started in 2003 is done.
Now we once again have a new long way to go.
We listened to many debates, conferences, and presentations, we paid attention to the voice of youth. Probably, we leave with a storm of ideas, with inspiring suggestions.
Despite everything – I said at the opening of the congress.
We are going to announce the twelfth congress in 2024.
Before the announcement, I’d like to thank the co-organisers again: the Masaryk University with a wonderful Jan Cincera and AIM group, their staffs, the institutions which gave their patronage, the partners, and the sponsors.
I’d also like to remind you that it is crucial to fill the time between a congress and the next one, not only as individuals or education bodies but as a worldwide network.
Local, national, regional meetings are welcome, as thematic groups and initiatives, webinars, forums, discussions of papers.
As permanent secretariat, our human and technical resources are limited but are at the disposal of the worldwide community of researchers, teachers, and educators.
Every congress is a milestone for environmental education worldwide. But the congresses should above all be an opportunity of coagulation for a flow of energies, proposals, regenerative learning experiences, and best practices.
So, many positions are open at the network: positions for volunteers, for goodwill people. We must enhance initiatives and prepare at best the next congress thanks to the help of a large community.
And now, it is an immense pleasure to invite the distinguished representative of the following local organising committee in 2024.
While I remind you that the call for hosting the 13th congress in 2026 is open, I announce that the 12th world environmental education congress will be in Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates).
I thank so much to the Environment Agency of Abu Dhabi for its engagement, its enthusiasm, and its strong competencies. Applause!
I invite H.E. Dr. Shaikha Salem Al Dhaheri and Mr Ahmed Baharoon to take the podium to present the congress’s title and main aims.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I would like to express my happiness in announcing the selection of the United Arab Emirates to host the twelfth round of the World Conference on Environmental Education in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi in 2024. This event will be held under the patronage of His Highness H.H. Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Environment Agency – Abu Dhabi (EAD), with the theme “Connecting People, Creating Tomorrow.”
I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the Organising Committee of WEEC for selecting the UAE. We are so honoured that an event as important as WEEC will be on our home soil, and we will work around the clock to ensure that it is a great success and platform for positive change. I am confident that the UAE, with its advanced and distinguished capabilities, will be able to make this important conference a success and achieve its desired goals. We will strive to support efforts to exchange knowledge and dialogue between specialists and those who are interested in the field of environmental education, from individuals, institutions, networks and alliances.
It is an absolute honour to be here with you today at the World Environmental Education Congress 2022 in Prague.
WEEC is a unique event because it brings together a range of specialists and professionals dedicated to environmental education. We all know that instigating change in communities to adopt environmentally friendly behaviour is only possible through rigorous environmental education.
We are fortunate in our day and age that governments have started adopting strategies to place the environment very high up on the national agenda. We are also lucky that more individuals in society are becoming increasingly aware of the importance of saving the planet – especially our children.
But we still have a long way to go, and that is why events like WEEC are critical as a sounding board to ensure that environmental education continues across all countries.
The UAE is a country that values the environment greatly, and our leadership provides us with unconditional support so that all environmentalists and organisations can achieve their goals – especially as a woman. And that is why I am very proud to be an Emirati woman working in the field of environment.
There are more women joining the field, and I know that several of them in my team decided to pursue this career path because they were inspired through environmental education. This reflects its importance and the only way we can empower the upcoming generations to become advocates and ambassadors for the environment, is by proving them immense access to more knowledge.
In Abu Dhabi, through EAD we have more than 20 years experience in environmental education. We first started in 1999 with our very first Nature Bus and today, EAD is implementing many pioneering environmental awareness programmes in more than 85% of public and private schools in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. Throughout the past years, we have received many prestigious awards in recognition and appreciation for our distinguished efforts and innovative programs in the field of environmental awareness.
On a final note, I invite you all to Abu Dhabi to participate in WEEC in 2024. We await you with open arms and our hearts and minds. We aim to continue the legacy of WEEC, which brings together like-minded individuals who play a very significant role when it comes to environmental education.
Who will be the next lucky one to win the chance to host the 12 WEEC congress?
The Call for Bids to submit your application is officially open, send us an Expression of Interest (EOI) before 31st July 2020.
Please ask for the official application form to: email@example.com
Deadline to submit the application: 31 July 2020
The Permanent Secretariat would like to remind you that only the public or private non-profit organizations (universities, foundations, associations, …) can apply the candidacy of their own country as the seat of the 12th WEEC in 2023.
The winner will be assigned indicatively by 31st December 2020.
The candidatures will be assessed mostly according to the following criteria:
1. Having preferably close relationships with the WEEC congresses and the Network in the past, and, in any case, joining the Network and endorsing its mission, vision and strategy.
2. Guaranteeing the quality of the contents and the cultural project of the Congress, in continuity and total agreement with the heritage and the spirit of previous Congresses and in close cooperation with the Permanent Secretariat that will supervise and co-chair the congress.
3. Designing the final call for the congress and the programme according to the guidelines and the advice of the Secretariat and the International Socio-Scientific Committee established by the Secretariat.
4. Demonstrating they have relevant experience in the field of environmental education.
5. Demonstrating they have adequate experience in organizing events at local, national, regional, and international levels.
6. Demonstrating they have adequate congress facilities.
7. Demonstrating they are skilled in creating networks at different levels and getting various institutions and organizations (national authorities, local institutions, Higher, Secondary and Primary education institutions, parks, museums, NGOs, mass media, etc.) to be involved in the organization and participation to the Congress.
8. Demonstrating their ability to ensure broad national and international participation at the Congress.
9. Engaging to strengthen the WEEC International Network, inter alia by allocating a budget for the network’s activities.
10. Demonstrating they can mobilize the necessary resources at the local and national level (and possibly at the regional and international level as well) to guarantee the financial sustainability of the Congress.
11. Demonstrating their commitment to contain the costs of participation to the Congress and facilitate the participation of people from disadvantaged countries or categories (e.g. young people and students), by reducing the costs of participation and overnight stays as much as possible.
12. Engaging to offer sponsorships to an adequate number of delegates from developing countries (if the bidder is in a developed country).
13. Guaranteeing the cultural diversity and facilitating participation, also thanks to the use of several languages as English, French and Spanish at least both for the web site and during the Congress.
14. Guaranteeing the ecological consistency of the Congress by taking every measure to minimize the ecological/carbon footprint of the event and assuring its socio and eco-sustainability both as venues and as other aspects (i.e. accommodation, social program outside, and so on).
15. Accepting the time schedule proposed by the Permanent Secretariat.
The 12th WEEC in 2023 will be assigned indicatively by 31st December 2020.
Official announce of the 12th WEEC: at 11th WEEC 2021 in Prague (Czech Republic), during the closing ceremony.